The Broadmoor criminal lunatic asylum was opened in 1863 with 95 female patients. A block for male patients followed a year later. The asylum was intended for the "safe custody and treatment" of the criminally insane. The new Broadmoor site covered 290 acres on the edge of the Berkshire moors and was designed by Major General Joshua Jebb, a military engineer. The Broadmoor site initially included 57 staff cottages and a school.