The Crystal Palace was built of glass and iron in what was then called Reservoir Square. It opened on July 14 1853 for the NY Worlds Fair in a ceremony attended by President Franklin Pierce. The city took possession of the building in May 1858 and it burned to the ground on October 5 of that year. It stood for roughly all of about five years. 1853 Photo (NYPL Collections). This is today's Bryant Park.
Adolf Loos's buildings are just so plain and unresponsive to the things around them that commoners cannot understand why he built them in this manner. Monumental and aloof, this building especially feels unrelatable to the context it's placed in.