West Baden Springs Hotel, French Lick, IN. Originally a mineral springs resort in 1855, the current hotel was built in 1902 with this spectacular 200-foot-wide atrium. The stock market crash of '29 shrunk the clientele, and she closed in 1932, sold to the Jesuits for $1. The fathers had all lavish details removed for a seminary, but it was abandoned and rotting by 1983. In 1996, local preservationist magnates saved the crumbling hulk and carefully restored it to it's former glory.