Abandoned Ireland. Eyrecourt House. Eyrecourt Castle was built by John Eyre in 1660. Colonel John Eyre an English nobleman, had arrived in Ireland during the Cromwellian Wars and was granted large tracts of land in East Galway for his service to Cromwell. He settled on the site of an O'Madden castle and set about building his mansion and founding the village of Eyrecourt. In 1679 the land consisting of about 10,500 acres was consolidated into a manor with the right to hold a weekly market.